[MUD-Dev] java clients

Fred Clift fred at clift.org
Tue Aug 13 11:15:29 CEST 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
> Lars Duening wrote:

> dropped I believe, but XBOX and Pocket PC are certainly great
> candidates for MUD clients.  ;-)

Having recently started using a palmos compatible device (Visor
Platinum) I've been pondering what a good mud client for a
pocket/hand-held/no-keyboard device might be.  I suppose that you
would want to offer lots of macros and triggers, but it still seems
like I'd go insane trying to use it what with user-input being so
slow (I'm getting better at grafitti, really!).  Anyway, it occurs
to me that you might want to offer a 'limited subset' of things that
are really easy to do...  Making a special protocol for your
handheld client so that you could have a more simple gui interface
with the commonly used commands all point and click (poke and tap?).

you tap 'tell' and it pops up a list of players you can see right
now and you pick that one and can (slowly) send a message to him...
etc.

Anyone have services for their mud right now that are intended,
modified/optomized for 'small-screen, slow-input' access devices?

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fred at clift.org-- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.