[MUD-Dev] Alternative Hit Point Systems?

Mathieu Castelli mcastell at noos.fr
Tue Aug 13 10:29:33 CEST 2002

Daniel Harman Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 12:17 PM

> This made me think of Halo's life system, which I think is a
> beautiful mechanic. For those who have missed out, you have two
> health bars in Halo, one is physical health, and the other is your
> shield. Physical health can only be regained from health packs,
> shield health recharges after about 10 seconds of no damage to the
> player. All damage is applied to the shield first, so you only
> take physical damage with a fully depleted shield. The beauty of
> this mechanic is that you can be in a dire situation with no
> physical health, but with skill and tactics you can survive thanks
> to the shield.

And this reminds me of why I start liking Jedi knight games much
more from the point I get "Force health"; same kind of mechanism as
Halo: you can get health points back using your powers, but in the
major part of the game you can only use it while doing nothing, and
the regen rate is slow enought that you can get blasted afterwards
anyway. Makes you lazy on the save feature, which as we know, always
end in frustration, no matter how good the design :)

Mathieu Castelli