[MUD-Dev] Re: java clients

David Love dlove at nighton.net
Tue Aug 13 09:17:52 CEST 2002

justice at softhome.net wrote:

> As much as I hate to admit it, the vast majority of computer
> "users" use Microsoft so it's a requirement.  The idea of
> "cross-platform" is to allow those who use other operating systems
> such as Mac (god why?) and *nix.

Though there are some benefits in targetting a generic *nix platform
(less so for the client side than the server side, but still a valid
point).  With darwin's bsd core (Mac OS X) and the availability of
cygwin for Windows, it allows for a far greater level of source
compatibility across platforms.

Granted, there are still some significant issues that arise when
considering things like graphics libraries / toolkits, audio
libraries, etc.  While the majority of users are likely to be
running under a microsoft os, this does not mean you have to focus
primarily on this platform (you just need to be compatible with it).
The idea of actively excluding *nix users grates on me.

-D.Love