[MUD-Dev] Mountaineering and Athletics

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Mon Aug 12 23:06:37 CEST 2002

Jack Britt wrote:

> In a text-based MUD, how would mountaineering and athletics be
> used?

You could have "mountain" rooms with a % chance of falling down the
mountain.  If you have mountaineering skill you don't fall down as
readily.  Thus, mountaineering skill is a key for a particular kind
of lock.

Athletics would depend on whether your MUD reckons time or not.  If
it does, then when you move from room A to room B, you move faster
and less time is used up.  I suppose this implies you'd need a
distance measured between every room, and you'd have to be willing
to block players who are entering a room "too soon."  Issues of time
synchronization always get sticky when you try to make everything
"fair."  "Rollbacks" don't really solve problems, so in the face of
scarce resources, I think you just have to decide where the error is
going to be taken.

I grabbed the idea of "Athletics" out of Morrowind, a 3D CRPG.  In
3D you generally have a velocity, so varying it is an obvious thing
to do.  But judging by Morrowind, I'd say you shouldn't do it.
Crawling along at a snail's pace really sucks!

20% of the world is real.