[MUD-Dev] Unique items vs. item references

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Mon Aug 12 10:58:35 CEST 2002

According to shren:

> One note.  Diablo II has something called "rare" items, where an
> item has a collection of random properties.  The magic item will
> be the same as a base item with 1-6 random properties.

Basically, most if not all of Asheron's Call items are what we'd
call "rares" in D2. But the loot generator is a lot more
sophisticated than that. There are over fifty different magical
effects you can put on an item in AC, but every item template allows
only for a small variety of them. Shields only have
armor/defensive/stats effects. No one has ever seen a shield with,
say, casting ability improvements (which is fortunate, since it's
impossible to cast any spell while wielding a shield).

AC item templates specify only four things that I can see:

  - the icon of the item

  - the appearance of the item (3D model)

  - the appearance of the item on the ground (a different 3D model)

  - its wield requirements (whether its a sword, shield, armor
  covering legs and abdomen, and so on).

All the rest is completely individual to all pieces of
equipment. Including the item's color (which can be changed by the
players), and its name (which is modified by the properties added,
so a basic Spear can become a Flaming Ivory Spear).

The treasure generator takes a reference instance for the item, and
then, depending on which monster/setting generated, will improve all
and everything on the item, from its weight to its final price.

A large amount of the AC items are considered junk, not because
they're absolutely non-sensical, but because people have found
something better.  In fact, when I was playing, most of the items I
was using were items I bought at a store because players had just
sold the "junk" they had from their higher level expeditions.

> When throwing random properties on a weapon, make sure that you
> have some predisposition towards properties that make it a good
> weapon.

You can also break the mold, and add some diversity. Look at another
game where you can throw a lot of properties (in fact, ANY property)
at any item. Neverwinter Nights.

Most swords I've seen are quite tame (sword +X, +X vs
something). But you've got a couple that breaks the mold. I've seen
a sword that gave off light and improved your saving throws, for
example.

But then, the items in NWN case are never the produce of a random
generator (which ones you loot ARE, but not the items themselves).
Every item was designed by a human, and has a specific lore
associated with it.

Of course, throw enough module creators in there, and you'll end up
with the impression that there are random items. I think there's one
module out there named "Bazaar" or somesuch, in which the author
puts a copy of every item designed by other module authors into
various stores.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)