[MUD-Dev] Unique items vs. item references

shren shren at io.com
Mon Aug 12 07:50:38 CEST 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 fred at clift.org wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, shren wrote:

>> When throwing random properties on a weapon, make sure that you
>> have some predisposition towards properties that make it a good
>> weapon.

> But what is really fun is to make items that while powerful, have
> negative side-effects.  I dislike seeing uber-items that have no
> cost.

> You have an item that helps you regen magical abilities?  Perhaps
> it cuts off most of your senses (ie blind and deaf) while wearing
> it...  Ie the sensory deprivation helps you meditate and recover
> more quickly.

> Or the clasic, a ring of regeneration that makes you eat like a
> horse...

> Or a weapon that does lots of damage, but the magic that makes
> your blows land harder also pulls you off balance making you fall
> on your butt every once in a while...

> These are far more fun to make, and far more interesting to see in
> use...  at least to me...

Ahh, but you made those up, thus they're not random.  Combining the
first concept from each of your paragraphs, I'll make a 'random'
item:

  A Ring
    That lets you regenerate
    Lets you do lots of damage
    Makes you blind and deaf

A player finding such an item who thinks about in character has to
wonder about who designed such a bizarre item.  Who would include
property 3, or finish the item when he found that the item would
have it?  Random items are often total non-sequitors, the only
response is, "huh?"

If you want to have random magic items, then one has to design very
carefully the randomization system, otherwise 10% of the random
items are good, 20% are usable, and 70% are curiosity pieces.

--
We in the USA have plenty of freedom.
We import it from everywhere.