[MUD-Dev] "The Artisan's Hands" - Storytelling Tools

Ron Gabbard rgabbard at swbell.net
Fri Aug 9 00:43:57 CEST 2002

> Brandon J. Van Every posted on Sunday, August 07, 2002
>> Michael Tresca wrote:
>>> Brandon J. Van Every posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 7:31 AM

>>> In the MUD world there are no advertizing campaigns, so finding
>>> MUDs that did this and this and that storywise sounds highly
>>> problematic.

My main problem is that trying out different MUDs is so friggin
time-consuming if I really want to get a feel for the game.
Otherwise, I can dip my toe in the water and come out with an
opinion that is about as qualified as most 'game reviews', i.e.,
touch on the high-level features and such but not really the flavor.

>> MUDConnector is, fortunately or unfortunately, the be-all-end-all
>> place for MUDs to advertise what they are and aren't.  Most
>> players who are looking for a particular type of MUD tend to look
>> there.

> Which says a lot about what level of advertizing dollars MUDs are
> really operating at.  Get real.  Nobody knows about this stuff.

Circulation = advertising cost.  It doesn't make sense for MUDs to
compete with EA and the other multi-billion dollar companies for the
same ad space.  The MUD market is a small niche compared to the FPS
or RTS market.  For text-based MUDs, it would probably make more
sense to rent the mailing list of 'The Dragon' subscribers or
members of the Andre Norton book club that have computers and do a
direct mailing campaign.  Much more cost-effective on a
cost-per-subscriber basis than print advertising.  But, as you
pointed out, you're not going to get broad awareness that way.

btw... if anyone wants some free help putting together a marketing
plan for their MUD, feel free to e-mail me.  The focus of my MBA was
in marketing and I have quite a bit of experience creating and
executing database marketing campaigns.  I also have quite a bit of
free time since the telecommunications industry has decided to go
pffffffft.

Cheers,

Ron