[MUD-Dev] narrative

Robert Zubek rob at cs.northwestern.edu
Thu Aug 8 12:28:40 CEST 2002

Bruce Mitchener mentioned a paper on narrative intelligence:

> "A Declarative Model for Simple Narratives"

> "A DSL embedded in Prolog for programming narratives. A story
> consists of a setting and a sequence of episodes.  Programs are
> written by declaring a world model in Prolog clauses. The AI Agent
> Oriented Programming paradigm provides the logical foundation for
> modelling human intentions and goal directed behavior as well as
> the temporal sequencing of events."

I'll admit, I'm really interested in the interactive narrative /
storytelling / theater work that occasionally pops up in AI. Some of
this stuff is coming quite close to being usable in games and online
worlds, which I think would be great. I'd love to have the computer
generate a plotline for me that's suited to my play style, and I'd
love to have the computer monitor and tweak the game to make sure
I'm not getting bored. :)

I'd like to think this would be a big win, for single player games
in which the computer could play the role of a DM, and for MMP
worlds where there aren't many human DMs to go around and it might
make sense to offload a lot of the mundane DM work onto the
machine. One would still want a human designer behind all of this -
of course - but more as a director.

Whether a strong Prolog inference engine is the way to go in this
case, is another question - though it's worthwhile to attack the
problem from all possible angles. But personally, my money is on
simpler techniques. :)

Rob

--
Robert Zubek