[MUD-Dev] Crafting/Creation systems

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Mon Aug 5 07:43:15 CEST 2002

From: "Ron Gabbard" <rgabbard at swbell.net>

> Am I missing some fundamental principle in MUDdom that says that
> crafting must be unprofitable in a fixed-price, NPC-driven
> world... especially when that profit made on a sale to an NPC
> would become virtually worthless as the economy inflated over
> time?

It's called simplicity.  Most muds are using a stock base which
isn't designed for crafting systems, most custom muds spend the
majority of their resources creating the familiar systems that they
want in their system.  Crafting, while an oft-talked about and
needed system, generally takes a back seat because it's
a. potentially unbalancing, and b. it's extremely complex.

To create a true economy requires alot of extra effort on top of the
crafting system, it's another highly complex, difficult to code/test
system.

In order to create a good crafting system with a free market you're
talking hundreds of coding hours (at least dozens) for an unsure
outcome (as far as player use goes).  I personally intend to write a
good crafting system into my mud (and link it into the game as a
social advancement option) but as for a free market... that's
something I don't think I'd waste my time writing.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom