[MUD-Dev] java clients

Colin Coghill C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Aug 2 12:45:07 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 20:45, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

> If it's an applet, then it's part of the security of Java applets
> not to let it write anything on the client's disk.

> If I were you I would have developed a standalone C++ client where
> you have full control over the features you want.  In the case of
> Skotos I guess they implemented some of their games with an
> ActiveX interface that gets included in Internet Explorer and lets
> you have browser's capabilities merged with a standalone
> client. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I think that doing that you immediately eliminate a reasonable
portion of your possible market.

Mac users, Linux users, people with old slow computers, people using
PDA's, people who are worried about security, and so on.  Plus new
people are unlikely to go to all the effort of downloading and
installing a new piece of software just to *try* a new MUD - given
that most MUDs suck.

Maybe each is a small percentage, but it starts adding up.

Java, for all its faults, really is quite cross-platform. If you're
going for a standalone (non browser built-in) I'd say Java's still
the best bet.

- Colin