[MUD-Dev] Creative guy seeking a MUD

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Thu Aug 1 11:12:51 CEST 2002

Frank Crowell wrote:

Good to hear from you Frank!  It's been awhile since vworlds-biz
days.

> As for bots annoying people, I used to have some interesting
> papers on the wars between Mud Admins and bot developers.  This
> same hate relationship has carried into FPS where bots are
> considered evil.  Finally my Mud-Dev post of "No Bots Allowed" got
> one big zzzzzzzzzz. I guess a big zzzzzzz is better than a punch
> to my nose.

I stumbled on this article in the archives.

  "Why do you admin a Mud?"

    http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q2/msg01269.php

It's probably good to study MUDs and note the behavioral ranges of
people who play and run them.  I'm not so interested in operative
predictions though.  I don't think it's important to ask what
happens when you mix 3 Directors and 3 Hackers, whether there's a
formulaic outcome or not.  It's something that will unfold on each
MUD, either the same old way or a different way.  But it's
definitely worth knowing that Directors exist and are annoying!

> I would run a bot-dominated server -- either a text Cold or a 3D
> server -- but I don't believe that I am allowed to run a mud
> server on my service.

Heh, I was looking for something that isn't an invitation to do
setup gruntwork.  The MUD I found, www.simud.org , is asking me to
do more gruntwork than I expected but I haven't hit my threshold of
pain yet.  It seems they don't have any content creation guys so I
may be doing their starting area for them.  But I plan to start
smaller.  Amusingly, I'm probably going to do completely the
opposite for them: story-driven stuff.  I guess my wacky bot fix
will have to wait.

20% of the world is real.