[MUD-Dev] Alternative Hit Point Systems?

Michelle Elbert michelf at silverspoonandpaperplate.com
Thu Aug 1 08:56:30 CEST 2002

From: "Sie Ming" <SieMing at sewardweb.com>

> At 01:39 PM 7/27/2002 -0700, Britt wrote: (assuming Sie got the
> quote right this time)

>     ORCREST strikes with his MEDIUM SHIELD!
>     TARUL parries the attack with his BROADSWORD.
>     ORCREST lunges with his LONGSWORD!
>     TARUL is wounded in the BREAST!
>     ORCREST makes a slashing attack wielding a LONGSWORD!
>     TARUL takes a hit to the RIBS!
>     TARUL is becoming desperate!!!
>     TARUL is staggered visibly!
>      From the stands a voice yells "Come on, TARUL, you can do it!"
>     ORCREST is fighting defensively to preserve his energy.
>     TARUL is out of control and misses widely!
>     ORCREST makes a slashing attack wielding a LONGSWORD!
>     TARUL parries the attack with his BROADSWORD.
>     Weapons clash as the warriors each strive for an opening.
>     ORCREST lunges with his LONGSWORD!
>     TARUL is hit in the UPPER CHEST!
>     TARUL is gravely injured!
>     ORCREST is going for the kill!
>     TARUL falls lifeless to the ground!!!
>
>     ORCREST has won the duel!
>     The crowd chants its praises!
>
>     ORCREST'S popularity has GREATLY INCREASED.
>     ORCREST learned an Attack skill.
>     ORCREST learned an Initiative routine.
>
> Does anyone know of a game that gives combat summaries like this?

Yeah, Muds. : )

On the diku mud I used to play on when I was at University
(RavenMud), it would give descriptive notices of damage done in a
fight.

  Greensleeves barely scratches a ghastly kraven.
  A ghastly kraven attacks Greensleeves, causing huge gaping wounds!
  Greensleeves is bleeding all over the place!
  Greensleeves has fled to the north!

The descriptors indicated a range of damage that had been done.  I
think we figured out that "barely scratched" was anywhere from 1 - 5
hp of damage.  Higher levels of descriptors had wider ranges of
course.  I seem to recall that the holy grail, the highest level of
descriptor, was to "charge through".  A friend of mine was obsessed
with getting that descriptor, the day he finally did it he let
everybody know.  He started using his title as a "Charge Through"
scoreboard, if memory serves.  It would tell us how many times he
had Charged Through total, and how many of those were from that day.

The only problem with that system is that you kinda get
disillusioned at the higher levels. (surprise) I mean, say your
fighting something absolutely huge, you could charge through it five
times and not make a dent.  (Hypothetically...)  So one of the times
I got to see higher level characters in action, somebody managed to
pull the Deamon Lord of the Pit to the North road outside of
Middgard, they were charging through like it was going out of style
for about three minutes.  The mental image that conjured up was of
all these mighty warriors running into, and bouncing off of, a huge
black demon...  I laughed for days.

So I always thought that the descriptors should instead indicate a
percentage.  Like, how much damage have you done in relation to the
current health of what you are fighting.

- Michelle