[MUD-Dev] Player Accounts on a Non-Commercial MUD

John A. Bertoglio jb at co-laboratory.com
Tue Apr 30 10:45:44 CEST 2002

From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
> John Bertoglio writes:
>> From: "Tand'a-ur"
>>> I also didnt mention a few things.

>>>   1. the mud license prevents me from accepting money, hense the
>>>   non-commercial and why i wouldnt accept money for account
>>>   points.

>> What are the specific terms of your license, no money, or no
>> profit?

>> If it is no profit, you have the potential to require a person
>> make a $XX payment/donation to you for becoming a citizen of your
>> world (which includes all priviliges). You then turn around and
>> donate the money (less direct costs like credit card
>> fees/discounts) to a recognized charity. You could even allow
>> them to select their charity when they transfer the funds.

> Interesting notion.  By declaring the specific charity that you
> would be donating their payment to, you'd attract a somewhat more
> focused group of players.  Personally, the idea of acting as a
> middleman to give to a charity whose agenda I disagreed with would
> cause me some serious ethical problems.

My proposal assumes that the site owner would provide the
selections. Therefore, it would be impossible to donate to an
organization you did not care for. A potential collateral benefit
would be that it would become in the interest of the charity to
promote the use of your mud. This could have some serious
promotional impact along with doing some good. Personally, I would
gladly give a month's revenue to NPR (National) Public Radio) in
return for some show sponsorships and the favorable association that
would accrue.

John Bertoglio
co-laboratory
(503) 781-3563