[MUD-Dev] Codename Blue & Facets - Nick Yee's new studies

Richard Woolcock KaVir at t-online.de
Sun Apr 28 15:11:54 CEST 2002

On Sun, 28 April 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Dave Rickey wrote:

>> All loyalties in these games are ultimately personal, and the
>> problem of how to maintain cohesive organization past the "rule
>> of 100" does show up in many different places.  We haven't quite
>> managed to reproduce patriotism in these games, we're barely
>> getting to tribalism.

> I'm not sure how you'd choose to define patriotism, but I've
> definitely seen it in Achaea, and a couple other games. Some
> players are intensely loyal to their city-states, and act just
> like flag-waving physical world patriots.

You'll also see a great deal of patriotism on the various mud
discussion forums (as well as on usenet).  Try flaming a mud and
just watch how many players come to defend it - even players who
despise each other will often work together to defend their mud if
they feel that it is being threatened by an "outsider".  It even
works with codebases - the typical LP vs Diku flamewar/debates that
have raged for years are often little more than codebase patriotism.

KaVir.