[MUD-Dev] Player Accounts on a Non-Commercial MUD

Tand'a-ur tandaur at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 28 00:22:02 CEST 2002

John Buehler wrote:

> Interesting notion.  By declaring the specific charity that you
> would be donating their payment to, you'd attract a somewhat more
> focused group of players.  Personally, the idea of acting as a
> middleman to give to a charity whose agenda I disagreed with would
> cause me some serious ethical problems.

The MUD is a diku deriv (was swr2 before i ripped it up into
something new). If any of you are familiar with the type you know
that it attracts basically almost the absolute worst of the mudding
community. I just want to limit the total number of characters
everyone has, and create more sense of advancement through these
accounts.

I dont want people to have multiple accounts because I want to limit
their number of characters, and I dont want them to get the goodies
from their accounts multiple times.

For over two years ive been trying to turn one of the worst (imo)
mud types into a decent mud...

At this point ive put too much effort into the MUD to start from
scratch. Ill do it someday but that is a someday where I have more
time.

PS. for those of you who dont know swr1 was basically smaug 1.0 with
a piss poor space system grafted on top of it and declared star
wars. Swr2 was swr1 changed to no levels, and player built
areas. (this is over simplified of course)