[MUD-Dev] Codename Blue & Facets - Nick Yee's new studies

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Sat Apr 27 11:07:50 CEST 2002

On 26th April 2002, Madrona Tree wrote:

> What struck me as amazing was the absolutely humongous numbers of
> people who had multiple accounts.  Do you suppose that is a "true"
> number, or evidence of a bad sample?

I'm not sure what the survey meant by "inactive" accounts. At first
glance, it would appear that these are mean accounts which people
pay for every month but that they don't use any more; however, as
there wasn't an option for people who once had an account but have
now cancelled it, I'd have to conclude that this is probably more
likely what an "inactive account" is. In other words, 11.2% of the
survey respondents who play DAoC also have an EQ account, and 42.3%
had one once but don't any more (ie. they're "ex-players").

As to why the numbers are large, well (apart from the obvious bias
in the data set) it could simply be that many of the people who are
playing DAoC are players of other games who are trying it out to see
which one they prefer; they haven't made their minds up just yet.

		Richard