[MUD-Dev] RE: Realistic Ecological Models, Differentiating Areas by Difficulty, and Socialization

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Fri Apr 26 09:54:57 CEST 2002

Damion Schubert writes:
> From: Sean Kelly

>> I agree.  However I'm speaking based on personal preference
>> rather than the general case.  Also, I hope that players aren't
>> so stuck in their rut of gameflow expectations that they would
>> reject another model simply because it was different.  Hopefully,
>> if implemented properly, a more realistic world could be created
>> which also appeals to the average gamer.

> As long as you realize that an average gamer does not put much of
> a premium on the concept of a realistic world.  They are much more
> concerned about concepts like 'fun', 'replayability' and, yes, to
> some degree, 'predictability'.

The average gamer puts a premium on entertainment.  To date, that
has meant replayability and predictability.  They haven't
experienced unpredictable, one-time entertainment that keeps coming.
If they ever experienced it, they would clamor for more.  This is
not an argument for realism, of course, just an attempt at
clarifying that one point.

JB