[MUD-dev] Fun in Games

shren shren at io.com
Wed Apr 24 14:57:06 CEST 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Koster, Raph wrote:

> Just as there is a difference between a free-form mission based
> game involving cars, and a free-form mission-based game involving
> cars where the bonus points are gained by having sex with
> prostitutes for money, then running the girl over with your car
> and retrieving the cash.

> By all accounts, the latter example, Grand Theft Auto 3, is
> tremendously fun. One of the best games of the year. It's also
> morally reprehensible, and it's quite evident that making us enjoy
> the morally reprehensible is quit within the art of the game.

I've had people laugh at me when I'm playing GTA 3 because I avoid
hitting other cars and pedestrians.  I don't know why I avoid the
pedestrians.  By and large, the sidewalk is a faster way to get
around than the road in GTA 3.

I've only seen one other person do this.  Oddly enough, we both were
fans of the Ultima series, one of the first games to try to
incorporate moral elements.  Playing games that feature moral
aspects may not have made us more or less moral people in real life,
but, oddly enough, it's made us more moral in other games.

--
http://www.shren.net

 xxx