[MUD-Dev] Player Accounts on a Non-Commercial MUD

Matt Owen MOwen at Channel4.co.uk
Wed Apr 24 08:50:06 CEST 2002

From: Tand'a-ur [mailto:tandaur at ix.netcom.com]

> What would be good ways of making sure that no one had more than
> one account? I will be requiring a non-free email addy for
> confermation, and probably logging ips. I can see someone just
> faking their ip to make a new account though and always using that
> faked ip.

I, along with most people, own several domains, the main one being
Jaruzel.com. When asked for an email address by websites, I normally
choose <sitename>@jaruzel.com, this way I can filter mail and
identify spam-traitors.

To stop me registering multiple accounts, you'd have to allow only
ONE account on the MUD with the email address *@jaruzel.com, and
although this would stop me from having more than one account, it
would block countless other people from registering; most ISPs by
default offer their users <username>@<isp> - blocking by email
address clearly wont work effectively on a large scale.

Unfortunately the same goes for IP address, hardly anyone connects
to the net, be it by dial up or xDSL/Cable, with a fixed IP
address. Most people are allocated a random one from a range
(apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here), so blocking based
on IP wouldn't really work either.

I'm thinking your only way to dissuade people from having multiple
accounts is to ask for a token micro-payment (a few
dollars/pounds/euros) that will only go towards maintainence costs
of the MUD and thus preserving your non-profit ethos.

I'm not sure I understand however why you would want to restrict
multiple accounts? If you can have several characters under each
account, where is the need to create another account ?

- Jaruzel.