[MUD-Dev] Player Accounts on a Non-Commercial MUD

Tand'a-ur tandaur at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 23 14:30:17 CEST 2002

Okay question first then background information.

What would be good ways of making sure that no one had more than one
account? I will be requiring a non-free email addy for confermation,
and probably logging ips. I can see someone just faking their ip to
make a new account though and always using that faked ip.

I am running a non-commercial MUD that is Levelless and has
permdeath.

I will soon be adding player accounts to the game. The accounts
would contain all of your characters that are registered to your
account and other information like the email addy you gave, total
and current account points, a small bank account, and other goodies.

The point of having the player accounts would be to slightly help
control multiplaying (it is already controlled except for linkless),
to provide another means of advancement in the game, to make death
slightly less horrible. You can already clone yourself in the game
which is just a backup of your characters skills and stats.

When you die you would gain some points for your account depending
on your skill levels, how you did in the game etc. Your current
level of account points could be spent on goodies (like questpoints
in many games). And your total account points would be used to
unlock different features or give set prizes. An example would be
able to raise the maximum number of characters you can have.

I just want to make sure that it is very very hard to get multiple
accounts. I would approve each account application and make sure
that the email is valid and from their isp and not from some free
place like yahoo or hotmail.

Any ideas on making it harder for players to have multiple accounts
or ideas on accounts themselves?

thanks in advance,

mike