[MUD-Dev] Dilemmas in a (game) designer's life ?

Sasha Hart Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu
Sat Apr 20 17:43:43 CEST 2002

[Brandon Van Every]

> As far as I know, researchers live by the maxim "Publish or
> Perish."  You may question the value and timeframe of their
> products, but they definitely ship products.  Academia may not
> have to produce as much as industry, but they still have to
> produce.

No disagreement here.  In the post you are replying to, I said: "In
research, your product is what you learn and communicate." I don't
question the value of learning at all, and the timeframe of
producing learning by doing the same old stuff is awful.

However, research and academia are not the same.  I said nothing
about academia. And while academic research is usually written up,
the soul of research is not bulk production of papers, but
exploration.  My interest was in promoting the idea that exploration
is not necessarily a waste of time if learning is your aim, not to
say anything controversial about academia, what it is to be a
researcher etc. etc.

Sasha