[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Apr 10 11:07:37 CEST 2002

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 holding99 at mindspring.com wrote:

> All I am arguing is that what we call a "character", or a "sword",
> or anything else in these games is more than just a collection of
> bits. There is also a socially constructed meaning behind them,
> which everyone understands (or comes to understand) within the
> context of the game. Remove that context, and the meaning is
> lost. Change that context, and the meaning also changes. An
> example: while a table is a table, a table in the dining room
> often carries different meaning from a table in the bedroom, or
> even a table in the kitchen.

I would be vary of making these kinds of general statements of what
is in effect in the eye of the beholder. Remember what this all
mounds to is weather it _may_ have any meaning at all. Equivalent to
your train of thought i might say that if i bought a car, i could
claim it was not the same car, as it was no longer in the context of
the car salsemans lot, and the only way i could fully experience
what i bought was to have it at his lot. It is all ofcause nonsense,
with respect to the buyer. The only thing that matter is that it
carries _a_ meaning.

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252471     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|