[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Apr 3 15:52:25 CEST 2002

From: "Marian Griffith" <gryphon at iaehv.nl>
> On Mon 01 Apr, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

>>> Mythic sells you a ticket to their amusement park.  One of the
>>> conditions of that sale is that you abide by the posted
>>> regulations of that park, and that they may remove you from the
>>> park at any time if they do not like your behavior.  This is
>>> completely legal.

>> But they *cannot* come out of the park and disrupt my personal
>> life, like cancelling my auctions on eBay. If the amusement park
>> sent people to my house to make sure I was abiding by the rules
>> there, it would be harassment.

> Actually, it is possible to do something similar, and it in fact
> happens.  Completely legally too.  If you buy a ticket to a
> concert there may be a condition that you can not resell it at a
> higher price.

That's not at all the same thing. We're not talking about conditions
of resale, we're talking about conditions of ownership. You can't
tell me that once I've bought the tickets, I can't charge other
people a fee for driving them to the concert.

> However, neither applies really to this case, if I understand it
> correctly that really is about transfering objects within the game
> from one player to another. There is as far as I can see, no
> reason why the contract between operator of the game and player
> can not contain a clause that specifically forbids that.

There is, however, no way to distinguish between a legitimate
exchange and a forbidden exchange between two players -- UNLESS you
go meddling around in your players' private lives. And Mythic does
not have the right to do that.  You can't forbid people to do things
that you can't control. I have a right to say "you can't curse in my
house", and I have a right to say "people that curse aren't allowed
in my house", and I even have a right to throw you out of my house
if I find out that you cursed... but I DON'T have a right to follow
you around to see whether you curse.