[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Apr 2 17:11:37 CEST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

>> you just can't buy the stuff that makes the biggest impact in
>> Achaea: reputation.

> IMO, this is the single most important thing about a "successful"
> game. The MAJOR factors of how powerful a player you are need to
> be something that you cannot buy, sell, or trade. Skill points,
> for example, or experience points.  When all your power is in your
> equipment, you can buy, sell, and trade power -- and people will.

Well, successful depends on the context. I measure the success of
Achaea by how much profit it generates. I'd certainly rather own
Everquest, despite the relative lack of skill it takes to play it.

> I personally think that the single biggest factor SHOULD be your
> ability as a player to play the game, which isn't in any database
> and doesn't belong to anyone except you. YMMV.

The problem with that, of course, is that most people are crap, and
have no chance at ever being good in a systems like that. Doesn't
bother me in Achaea. We've got a lot of ladders of advancement, and
we're a niche game anyway. It'd be awfully frustrating if basketball
were a MUD and I had to play in the same world as Michael Jordan.

--matt