[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Apr 2 11:48:37 CEST 2002

From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

> That depends on intent.

So the analogy is clearly flawed. End of story. What the man INTENDS
to do changes what he DOES do, so he is not *necessarily* paying for
sex.

> Blacksnow's intent is easy to discern.

Yes: they intended to sell a SERVICE. This is made very clear in
many places, on their web site *and* in their auctions, that they DO
NOT sell the actual objects but only the SERVICE of delivering them
within the legitimate bounds of Mythic's game. They never intended
to transfer Mythic's intellectual property, and they never did
either.

> Actually, you do get stopped.

Not on Mythic's server, which is the whole point. Mythic is ALLOWED
to stop me on THEIR server. They are NOT allowed to stop me by lying
to someone else to force *them* to stop me. I cannot call the police
and say you molested my daughter to prevent you from picketing my
business, even if it does stop you. It is not my right to make false
accusations.

> Really, I'd think it'd be Ebay you'd be pissed at, since Ebay is
> the one that removed the listings, not Mythic.

eBay didn't lie to anyone or overstep their authority by trying to
prevent activity on servers they don't own. Mythic allegedly did.