[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Tammie Gorzelsky tammie.gorzelsky at jda.com
Tue Apr 2 09:51:24 CEST 2002

At 08:16 PM 3/31/2002 -0800, Brad McQuaid wrote:

> However, game pieces in online games are intrinsically entangled
> in the game, and cannot be separated. My character, and all of his
> "stuff", not only doesn't exist outside of the game, but CAN'T
> exist outside of the game. Fir this reason, it will be considered
> part of the game for legal purposes. Remember, it's not the
> perceptions of those who are associated with online games which
> matter in a court of law; it's the perception of the judge(s) (and
> any associated jury), almost all of whom are not online game
> designers, and are not online game players.

I believe that this is an incorrect assumption. Take this example:
You have an ancient piece of rock that has some hieroglyphics on it.
You do not read hieroglyphics, yet you have the rock. Does this mean
the rock does not exist?

Just because you may not be able to interpret the raw data that
makes up the character on the server, does not mean it cannot exist
outside of the game.

Regards,
-Tammie