[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Tue Apr 2 00:08:50 CEST 2002

On Mon 01 Apr, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

>> Mythic sells you a ticket to their amusement park.  One of the
>> conditions of that sale is that you abide by the posted
>> regulations of that park, and that they may remove you from the
>> park at any time if they do not like your behavior.  This is
>> completely legal.

> But they *cannot* come out of the park and disrupt my personal
> life, like cancelling my auctions on eBay. If the amusement park
> sent people to my house to make sure I was abiding by the rules
> there, it would be harassment.

Actually, it is possible to do something similar, and it in fact
happens.  Completely legally too.  If you buy a ticket to a concert
there may be a condition that you can not resell it at a higher
price.

However, neither applies really to this case, if I understand it
correctly that really is about transfering objects within the game
from one player to another. There is as far as I can see, no reason
why the contract between operator of the game and player can not
contain a clause that specifically forbids that.  How practical it
is to enforce that is another question entirely, but that does not
make it in the least less valid.  My guess is that such a clause
would be added for the same reasons why most rental contracts for
appartments have a 'no pets allowed' provision. Not because the
owner wants to enforce it per se, but so that in case there is a
problem involving a pet they have a quick solution.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey