[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

amanda at alfar.com amanda at alfar.com
Mon Apr 1 16:56:13 CEST 2002

"Caliban Tiresias Darklock" <caliban at darklock.com> wrote:
> From: <amanda at alfar.com>

>> Remember: DAOC is not open to the public.  It is a dues-paying
>> members-only club.

> Remember also that Mythic does not have any right to ban me from
> SOMEWHERE ELSE.

They're not.  They can't ban anyone from, say, eBay.

> Mythic allegedly went to eBay and said "BSI cannot sell that" and
> eBay forbade them to sell it.

Mythic allegedly went to eBay and said "selling that violates our
license agreement.".  Microsoft has done the same thing with CD-Rs
of Windows XP, etc.

> That's where the financial damages are. When Mythic prevents BSI
> from conducting business OFF the DAoC server, it is not their
> right or privilege to do so.

Mythic is not preventing anything.  eBay is preventing it.  Mythic
can advise eBay that eBay may incur a liability by facilitating
certain kinds of sales, and eBay can decide it's a reasonable
request and disallow the auction.  However, BlackSnow no doubt
thinks they have more leverage against Mythic than against eBay.

Amanda Walker