[MUD-Dev] in-game vs web-based boards (was: Geometric content generation)

Koster Koster
Thu Sep 27 08:14:27 CEST 2001

Even the ones that are don't get high traffic as a percentage of
userbase.  We're talking, say, 5-10% of the total players use the
game's principal website at all, much less are willing to go deeper
in search of communities.

There's some evidence accumulated at this point that communities
tightly integrated in the main game website tend to be ruder,
whinier, and less cohesive than communities elsewhere--because it's
known that the developers are lurking or even actively
participating.

In other words, by putting a tightly-integrated community on your
website you hope to attract more people into game communities. But
instead, what you did is create a public complaint line. And
complaint lines aren't conducive to community-building. So you end
up with better communities on places where the developers do not
participate, or where there is no expectation of a reply.

Which completely runs against the grain for me--I strongly believe
in having developers maintain good contact with their players.

-Raph