Higher barrier to entry? was RE: [MUD-Dev] NEWS: Blizzard Entertainment announces World of Warcraft

shren shren at io.com
Fri Sep 14 15:16:10 CEST 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Derek Licciardi wrote:

> While I agree with you that their Diablo II experience is a big
> help, there is a HUGE difference between supporting a few hundred
> few player games and a single world.  Just the scalability issues
> that become apparent make the entire server design a completely
> different architecture.  Can they do it? Probably.  Will they be
> successful at it? Probably.  I just do not see that they have any
> more significant advantage over other companies.

This is from Battle.Net USEast, at 4:23 Friday, before the big
get-out-of-work-rush:

  /users
  <BattleNet>: There are currently 25896 playing 13322 games in the
  USEast realm, 125596 users playing 67624 games of Diablo II Lord
  of Destruction, and 183434 users playing 83320 games on
  Battle.net.

--
All that I believe now, anything is possible,
a simple explanation for the evil in this world,