[MUD-Dev] Preference for host OS

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Fri Sep 14 13:56:13 CEST 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 01:14:43PM +0200, Vincent Archer wrote:

> By stable, I mean softwarewise. None of these crash particularly
> more often than any other (well, I know one Solaris system that
> ran for over 400 days before an electric maintenance forced the
> datacenter to shut it down), but the Linux variants are prone to
> quick and rapid software updates (Debian, in particular, falls
> down to this syndrome, as it's developped by a large and loose
> organisation of people, and dependencies between parts of Debian
> can sometime cause you to upgrade half of your system because you
> just wanted to add PHP4 to your web server).

As as an interesting data point I have:

	total of 1862 unix machines
	mean uptime of 261 days
	max uptime of 1726 days
	median uptime of 152 days

These are running both standard and custom unix software and if it
wasn't for the fact that we ocassionally have to upgrade the kernel
the average uptime would be _much_ higher.