[MUD-Dev] MudDev FAQ - part 2

Mats Lidstrom mats at avatargate.com
Tue Sep 11 03:41:12 CEST 2001

From: "Marian Griffith" <gryphon at iaehv.nl>

>   Lucasfilm's Habitat
>     <URL:http://www.communities.com/company/papers/lessons.html>
>     <URL:http://race-server.race.u-tokyo.ac.jp/RACE/TGM/Mud/habitat.html>
>     <URL:http://www.communities.com/people/crock/habitat.html>
>     <URL:http://beta.communities.com/>
>     Detailed documents about an ambitious graphical mud. [JCL]

The above links needs updated :) Habitat/WorldsAway/VZones can be
found at:

  http://www.vzones.com/

and was my hangout for a couple of years. What I liked with it most
- and these days only(?) can be found in telnet-mud:s - was that you
actually only needed a tiny window/session to be able to run it so
you could work on your computer while still standing outside the
magic shop waiting for your friends to show up. And that it actually
had both a mac and a pc client. Unfortunately they abandoned mac
with version 2 of the client.

Overall a very relaxed atmosphere and a second home for many
people. Ask my wife. She joined WorldsAway in -95.

I got most of the basic ideas for my own "project" when I merged
MUD/MOO technology to WorldsAway thinking.

This is a quote from the faq page:

  "Lucas Arts & Entertainment developed the predecessor to VZones,
  which was called Habitat and then WorldsAway. Fujitsu licensed the
  Habitat software system from Lucas Arts & Entertainment in 1989,
  launched the Fujitsu Habitat Service in Japan in 1990, and
  eventually bought all rights to the technology in 1993. In 1995,
  Fujitsu released WorldsAway version 1.0, a completely redesigned
  software system that built on the foundation laid by Habitat.

  Since then, Fujitsu's WorldsAway Team launched four commercial
  virtual world services based on WorldsAway technology both here in
  the U.S. and internationally, as well as several private avatar
  communities. In May 1999, the WorldsAway group formed its own
  private company, Avaterra.com, Inc.  It uses the next generation,
  version 2.0 technology, which expands virtual communities from the
  constraints of proprietary online services by making them
  accessible to anyone on the Internet with a web browser."

/Mats