[MUD-Dev] Preference for host OS

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Mon Sep 10 21:01:00 CEST 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:02:58 -0400
Travis Casey <efindel at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Also, it should be noted that last I checked, Solaris does *not*
> come with a C compiler (or, more accurately, it comes with a C
> compiler, but you can't use it unless you pay for a license).
> You'll either need to install a free one (e.g., gcc) or pay for a
> license for Sun's.

Solaris 8 comes with GCC on one of the companion CDs.

> For something that's just going to be a mud server, if you're
> going to use Linux, I'd recommend one of the lighter,
> security-oriented distributions, like Trustix or Immunix.

While I don't disagree, properly configuring a kernel/process
capability system is not trivial and can require significant
learning and analysis curves.  This should be factored in up front
in the cost/benefit analysis as well in the risk containment
analysis (which should mostly end up in positive check marks on the
Immunix/TrusIx etc side).

--
J C Lawrence