[MUD-Dev] [BIZ] Billing systems

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Mon Sep 10 12:45:15 CEST 2001

From: "Christopher Allen" <ChristopherA at skotos.net>

> We at Skotos had to completely roll our own, and I'm sure it cost
> us more then 8 man-months of our best engineers to write and
> test. There are still aspects of it that I'm sure that we don't
> have quite right, in particular for international users which
> cause the most headaches for our customer experience team. Also,
> we are currently going through a single card services company and
> ideally we should be redundant and have two in case (actually
> "when") the first craps out. We only don't yet support things like
> PayPal and automatic check withdrawal that are increasingly
> necessary if you want people from outside the US.

Just out of curiosity, why isn't paypal more generally supported?
Seems to me that ought to be the easiest of them all to get set up,
and (in theory) would work for everybody everywhere, since paypal
has already gone to the trouble of figuring out ways to get
everybody on one system.  And since you can put money on your paypal
account with a credit card, it should be a superset of credit card
billing.

Heavy on the oughts, shoulds, and in theories, though.  :)