[MUD-Dev] Benchmarking MUDs

Chris Gray cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
Mon Sep 10 08:00:29 CEST 2001

> From: "Adam Martin" <ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com>

> If anyone puts together a set of tests, and ensures they are
> documented well enough to be unambiguous (and hence actually
> useful), then I'm sure a lot of people will spring up who are
> ready to start running them. Don't be put off by the
> characteristic silence that often meets questing suggestions on MD
> - suggestions which people do think are a good idea really, but
> assume you know that and hence don't necessarily say so.

> Personally, if a set of tests appears I'll happily run them
> against what we're developing and post the results, if only out of
> general interest.

But, therein lies the problem. It's a matter of a few minutes for me
to write some tests for the softcode system in my server. Similarly,
it would take another few minutes for someone profficient in LPC to
translate them to LPC. But, for many of the other tests discussed
here, there is no easy solution - there is a lot of work involved in
defining and creating them. So, we are probably in a catch-22
situation - people won't volunteer for this type of stuff unless
there is enough interest, but people don't express interest unless
there is an existing set of tests.

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/