Higher barrier to entry? was RE: [MUD-Dev] NEWS: Blizzard Entertainment announces World of Warcraft

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Sun Sep 9 22:11:27 CEST 2001

At 03:43 PM 9/9/01 -0700, Christopher Allen wrote:

> This is actually quite difficult -- to date, combined with
> post-release dev support of bugs and new features I'd say for us
> that it is as expensive as the development of the games.

Well, the theory is that game development is a fixed cost per game,
but that billing etc. is a fixed cost period.  You guys definitely
have a higher fixed cost since you rolled your own solution -- I'm
not adverse to using a Windows 2000 box for, say, Ropogi, if it
knocks 8 months of development time from our schedule.

> When you get close to the beta of your product, talk to us.

We're hoping to speculatively partner with someone prior to beta
just to make sure our back-end connectivity design is sane.  But
failing that, we'll give you a call ;)

Brian