[MUD-Dev] Structured Social Play

Bruce Mitchener bruce at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 9 15:58:06 CEST 2001

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> Now, it's understandable that the line-entry is all that you get
> (at least, on MUD's structured around a basic telnet interface).
> Do *YOU* want to try and teach your MUD about termcap-ish stuff,
> and screen-based interfaces, and make it 'work' with all of the
> various telnet and MUD clients that people use on a regular basis?

> None of those, of course, applies if you have a specialized client
> (it goes without saying, which is why I felt the need to say it ;)

But, it should be noted that 'specialized client' need not mean "a
client particular to this MUD or style of MUDs" ... MCP-based
support for local editing has been around for years and is widely
used in MOOs and Colds at the least.  Client support includes
scripts for tinyfugue, the mud clients based upon emacs,
TkMOO-light, and a few other clients (some for Windows, at least one
for Unix that uses GTK+).

And, if you head down that road, there's a lot of interesting work
that has happened over the years involving general client support
for things using MCP.

  - Bruce