[MUD-Dev] Structured Social Play

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Sat Sep 8 00:42:29 CEST 2001

Daniel Bendiksen wrote:

> One thing that turn based games provide EASY access to that none
> of the MUDs I've been in does is offline communications.

> In every MUD I've been in, if you want to read/write email, you
> have to trek to a post office and do your actions there.

> A pretense for making email easier would be to make the email
> system "mental", meaning they can just think about it (i.e. issue
> a command anywhere in the MUD) and send/receive email.

The players of Castle Marrach have a lot of fun with the courier
system.  Throughout the castle are the nearly ubiquitous CNPC
couriers from whom you can request a scroll. Write something on it,
address it, optionally sign it, and hand it to a courier, the next
time any courier sees the addressee the courier will give the scroll
to the addressee. A superior mail system that is completely in
character -- people treasure their favorite scrolls and stash them
away, save them to give as evidence in trials. More recently, a new
skill of hand-writing analysis allows some authors anonymous scrolls
to be identified, and some people are trying to learn how to
counterfeit.

-- Christopher Allen