[MUD-Dev] Structured Social Play

Wed Sep 5 21:49:12 CEST 2001

Christopher Allen wrote:
> Tom Hubina wrote:

>>   1. Hardcore with too much time on his hands.

>>   2. Hardcore with not enough time on his hands.

>>   3. Casual.

> I agree with Tom that trying to attract the "casual" gamer has
> some serious problems because the key to these games is the
> socialization and it is very hard to socialize in 20 minutes in
> all but long-term strategic (i.e. turn based) games.

There's another alternative though; to recruit groups of players
rather than individuals. I.e. you recruit hardcore gamers for leader
roles, but they need their more casual friends to play as
"soldiers", so they bring them along... (assuming broad casual
content)

--
Ola  -  http://www.notam.uio.no/~olagr/