[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Blizzard Entertainment announces World of Warcraft

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Sep 5 16:56:13 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Kylotan <kylotan at kylotan.eidosnet.co.uk>

> To be honest, it just sounds like the same stuff that everyone
> else has promised (and subsequently failed) to deliver, so I'm not
> overly impressed... yet.

In the long run, does it matter?  Let's assume the minimum we'd
expect under the circumstances: They come out with a game that has a
more polished version of the gameplay we've already seen, along with
a better UI (this being the one place that current games *really*
fall short on, and a traditional Blizzard strength).  Nothing really
new.

So what?  This is Blizzard, the company that has had 5
million-selling titles in a row.  VoodooXtreme's "Most anticipated
OLRPG" poll puts them at number two, right behind SWG only *days*
after the game was announced (and both ahead of Camelot even though
we launch in 6 weeks, dammit :-( ).  There's a huge market out there
that will buy anything with the Blizzard name on it, including the
2.7 million Diablo II players.  If SWG has the potential to double
the overall market for these games, WoW has the potential to double
it *again*.

So the simple fact that they are jumping into this market is
impressive enough, all by itself.

--Dave Rickey