[MUD-Dev] [TECH] MySQL for mud databases

Jussi 'Sulka' Haro sulka at sulake.com
Wed Sep 5 12:16:34 CEST 2001

Hi!

We're using MySQL for Habbo hotel (http://www.habbohotel.com/) and
our other projects. MySQL has proved to be quite robust and
exceptionally fast when used "the right way".

We create our servers with Java so the stability of the JDBC driver
and connection broker is quite important, and MySQL shines in
this. We've been looking at PostgrSQL but haven't decided on whether
we want to switch or not. At least the JDBC driver of PSQL does't
seem as mature.

There's a lot of SQL stuff you just can't do if you want performance
so be prepared to do a lot of query profiling if you choose a SQL
database. But then we've implemented our own cacheing of some of the
stored information which speeds up things a lot.

So the big question for you probably is whether to go with a
database or not. If you choose the SQL way, check out both MySQL and
PostgreSQL and see which one suits you better.

sulka