[MUD-Dev] Writing a MUD Server in Visual Basic?

Dan MacDonald danmac at windows.microsoft.com
Wed Sep 5 12:02:29 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]=20

> How could we benchmark MUDs? In other words, how could we test
> them under the exact same conditions?

By Generating some Good Metrics, He's some that came up with.

  Connections per X Unit of Memory (e.g. 1MB Ram)
  Transactions per X Unit of Time (e.g. seconds)
  Latency per Client (graph as Client Load Increases)

Incidentally I am the original author who mentioned that I might
post Some performance numbers for my VB based Server. Unfortunately
I have since Switched to C++ && Winsock because the VB socket
Support was so horrid.  With the VB socket Control you can't even
get access to the protocol header information. If you want to know
the sender IP address you have to send it as a part of the packet
body. This really ruins any chance of being able to work through a
firewall. That plus a number of other limitations (hacked
multithreading) was what made me change my mind and switch to C.

Dan MacDonald