[MUD-Dev] MUD to include space and more

shren shren at io.com
Tue Sep 4 07:36:29 CEST 2001

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Brian Hook wrote:
> At 09:51 AM 8/30/01 -0700, Daniel Bendiksen wrote:

>> I'm looking to create a MUD that will include space and maybe
>> realistic travel across it.

>> Has discussions already happened on this type of concept? Is work
>> on such a project underway?

> Unfortunately the design problems are non-trivial when doing vast
> expanses that have to be travelled but are still large (lack of
> time compression is the biggest problem).

I have an image of a game now that you don't play constantly, but
run in the background during, say, your work day.  Years pass in
minutes or seconds, and there are complex formulas for the automatic
rise, building, decline, and collapse of planetary/interplanetary
societies, which happen over the course of real time days.  A
trading game, interstellar merchants as players.

The question is, what's so valuable that it's worth an 80 year round
trip?  A 200?  White dwarf extracted matter?  Captured micro black
holes?  Genetic samples?  Knowledge?  ("They're in the stone age
now.  I'll hop over to the Dwarf Reaches and grab a copy of
Encyclopedia Galactica, and when I get back they should be going
industrial and will pay a generation worth of first born children to
get it.")  And what context does wealth have when your entire
society died after what seemed to be your first year on the job?

--
  You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth!   - George Carlin