[MUD-Dev] TECH : RMI (was UDP Revisted)

Bobby Martin bobbymartin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 20:20:39 CEST 2001

> From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
> From: Bobby Martin [mailto:bobbymartin at hotmail.com]

>>>  Do you have any support for pipelining of requests?

>>  No, although TCP (which I currently use) buffers packets for up
>>  to 200 ms before it sends the buffer.

> Pretty sure thats fully adjustable as its just the Nagle'ing (sp?)
> setting.  Sometimes its worth turning that off on a LAN depending
> on packet size etc.

> The problem I've most often seen with most RMI schemes is the
> timeout handling. DCOM has some hideous (and unadjustable I
> believe) timeouts that caused my team no end of trouble on a
> previous project. IIRC it takes potentially 6 minutes to discover
> that a call has failed if the remote server has locked up. DCom
> uses a custom

I've seen RMI pretty consistently hang forever, never noticing that
the client or server died.  Currently ARMI will do the same thing :(
but the source is open, so it can be fixed :)

I will also fix it too, when it moves to the top of my todo list.
And, being asynchronous, if you don't care about the return value,
you never get hung up.

Bobby