[MUD-Dev] Proposed Law

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Oct 25 18:41:33 CEST 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Paul Schwanz wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> Sure, it's one-dimensional. So is every other method of
>> interacting with a mob. That's no reason to get rid of any of
>> them or disparage any of them. It's many of those together that
>> makes it multi-dimensional.

> Absolutely.  Although I'd still have to say that destruction
> (where destruction is not defined as a mob simply being "taken out
> of commision for a period of time") burns content.  Is that
> disparaging of me?

No, I agree with that 100%. I think the confusion was over whether
you were talking about actually destroying content, or just killing
re-spawning mobs.

> Actually, my argument probably wasn't formulated very well.
> Additionally, it is based on some personal preferences, so it
> probably is best described as an opinion vs. and argument.  It
> goes like this:

>   1) I don't like re-spawns for aesthetic reasons.  They interfere
>   with my suspension of disbelief no matter how consistently done.
>   My preference is for a game to kill things it wants dead and not
>   to kill things it doesn't want dead.  There may be exceptions to
>   this, but I prefer them to be exceptions rather than the rule.
>   I covered some of this in another post.

I guess I just have never thought of mobs as anything but things to
kill, or be mildly amused by once. They really aren't much good as
far as I'm concerned, and won't be for a long time. We've got over
5000 mobiles in Achaea at the moment. I can't imagine running decent
AI on even just the ones flagged as 'sentient' (2192 currently).

--matt