[MUD-Dev] English grammar thoughts

Chris Gray cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
Wed Oct 24 08:18:06 CEST 2001

> From: Travis Casey <efindel at earthlink.net>

[Much deletia]

> I started to use a design almost exactly like this once -- verbs
> could have direct and indirect objects, and know what to do with
> them.  The verb could tell the parser what preposition(s) it
> expected to come before a direct or indirect object.  Ultimately,
> though, I had to give it up, because there were too many cases
> that it couldn't handle properly.  Consider, for example:

[Much more deletia]

In CGMud, I essentially used the method that Travis abandoned. For
information and examples on it, see:

  http://www.graysage.com/cg/MUD/CGMud/Server/ProgConcepts.txt

and scan down to the section heading "Parsing Functions".

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/