[MUD-Dev] UDP Revisted

Bruce Mitchener bruce at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 22 22:39:58 CEST 2001

Bobby Martin wrote:
> From: "Adam Martin" <ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com>

>> seen a 10Mbps LAN take several minutes to transfer what sould
>> have been a few hundred k in total from two clients to a server
>> (no other traffic on the LAN). This of course is exacerbated by
>> the fact that RMI adds an overhead of approximately 20-40 bytes
>> (or even more!)  per 4-byte integer transferred. In case anyone
>> is shocked at my foolishness for using RMI, I was trying it out -
>> and was severely disappointed that it effectively can't handle
>> raw data that comes to more than maybe a few hundred bytes (then
>> multiply this by 10-30) without this behaviour.

> Use ARMI (http://sourceforge.net/projects/armi/)

I was curious as to what sorts of advanced features you had in ARMI
and the documentation didn't really go into much detail beyond some
usage notes.

Do you have any support for pipelining of requests?

How about for monitoring message traffic or requests for debugging,
checking load balancing, etc?

What sorts of security or authentication do you support?

Can you compare your packing overhead to that of RMI or other
systems? Do you compress your datastreams?

Any more information to explain in more detail how/why ARMI is great
is welcome. :)

  - Bruce