[MUD-Dev] DAoC dev team (was: MMORPG Comparison (UO, EQ, AC, AO, DAoC))

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Fri Oct 19 20:38:54 CEST 2001

At 09:34 PM 10/18/01 -0700, John Buehler wrote:

> Big variable names don't result in big executables, ya know?  :)

I find it fascinating when a programmer complains that long variable
names are difficult to type.  I don't know about others, but I spend
at least 95% of my time thinking about what I'm doing and 5% of my
time typing.  Those extra 10 characters per variable name don't
exactly slow me down.

> Code that is highly optimized for specific reasons is another
> issue.  Comment that in the parts where you had to go
> non-intuitive for performance reasons.

Sure -- more generally, when there is a piece of code that is not
intuitive and simply CAN'T be made more intuitive.  For example, the
code I have that does a very fast reciprocal square root
approximation using direct twiddling of the FP bits.  NO ONE
understands that code -- myself included -- with or without
comments, so you'd better put a comment in there that at least
explains that you're not supposed to understand it =)

Brian