[MUD-Dev] Quality Testing

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Thu Oct 18 07:01:58 CEST 2001

John Buehler posted Wednesday, October 17, 2001 4:37 AM

> Well, we could slug this out for a long time.  I consider QA
> organizations as necessary patches to ensure that the current,
> primitive software development methodologies that we use produce
> some kind of useable software.  I'm a staunch fan of component
> development methodologies, strict contractual understanding,
> incremental development, etc.  Those are the things that move
> quality assurance into the development methodology itself,
> obviating the need for a separate quality assurance organization
> and process.

Heh, you mean "do it right the first time"?

I agree.  Testing and QA methodologies is a catch-all means of
compensating for the fallibility of large groups of people creating
work that they aren't necessarily motivated to do accurately.

That said, there are many, many, many groups out there who are not
Dave's group.  Witness the proliferation of crapola (that's a
technical term) out there -- you know, those games where you smack
your forehead and shout, "What were they thinking?"

Such games would definitely be better if they did it right the first
time.  They might be better if they had a rigorous QA methodology.
You don't necessarily have to have testers, but you do need to test.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien