[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #445 - 27 msgs

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Wed Oct 17 18:16:54 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Nixon" <tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com>
> From: "Paul Schwanz" <paul.schwanz at east.sun.com>

>> If I may, I think that the point is that procedures can become
>> quite good at creating content, but not intent.  Evaluation as to
>> whether the sequence is rubbish or not is focused on content.  I
>> think that this evaluation can be made with little regard for
>> authorship.  However, in many cases, it is the intent that is the
>> more interesting of the two (as in the case of lost love).  When
>> it comes to intent, authorship is crucial.

> This thread has triggered a thought that may be obvious to the
> rest of you, but is new and novel to me.  > If it is true that
> generated content can not be as entertaining or as "explorable" as
> hand-made content, then there's a level of interaction going on
> here that nobody's talking about.  >

<SNIP>

> Third, there's an interaction you don't hear much about, and that
> I think is at the root of this "you can't explore generated
> content" idea.  Please note that it's just occured to me that
> "interaction" has become a very inappropriate term at this point,
> since what I'm about to describe isn't really an interaction, but
> hey, I'm making this up as I go, give me a break. :) The players
> interact with the maker of the world.  I've heard a number of
> times something to the effect of: "I can't wait for the next book
> in that series.  I can't wait to see what MrSuperAuthor does with
> the characters next."  I can't personally understand the
> sentiment, because I'm such a visually oriented person that books
> are more like movies to me, but it exists nonetheless.  So in some
> sense, when taking part in any form of entertainment, you're not
> really exploring the world as a world, but as somebody else's
> creation.  They've made something cool, or they've made something
> that sucks, and maybe you somehow feel that what you're
> experiencing gives you a window into a part of another person.
> When they've made something cool, this feeling can approach
> reverence.  You want to identify with the person who created the
> experience.  >

In this case, is it really wanting to interact with the author, or
is it the association of good entertainment experiences with that
person? Why do some actors/actresses/directors/authors gain a
following? When I enjoy something a lot, I want to see/read/play
more of that person(s) stuff. This is why Tim Burton, Jackie Chan,
Sid Meier, etc get their name's included as part of the marketed
name.

> At this level, there is definately a difference between handmade
> and generated content.

Well, from my point of view above, this wouldn't be the difference
between handmade and generated content, but instead a marker of good
content. Entertainment associated with these people is likely to be
more enjoyable to me, because of my past enjoyable experiences of
their work.  And why those people try to downplay/bury/hide the bad
work [think Stallone in Stop or My Mom Will Shoot!  ;) ].

    rayzam